Enchanted Rock in the Texas Hill Country of Central Texas

   

Nimitz Museum - Fredericksburg, Texas

Fredericksburg Homes

Fredericksburg Acreage

Texas Land

Texas Ranches

Building Lots

Commercial Real Estate

B & B Rentals

Guadalupe River Real Estate

Mason Co Real Estate

Pedernales River Real Estate

Fredericksburg Real Estate Home Page

Our Agents

Fredericksburg Texas Sitemap

Fredericksburg Real Estate Links

Nimitz Museum

Fredericksburg's original Nimitz Hotel was built on Main Street in the late 1840s or early 1850s and acquired by Charles H. Nimitzqv in 1855. The hotel had four rooms and a large central fireplace. Nimitz subsequently built a new structure of adobe and wood and eventually expanded to fifty rooms. The hotel's Casino Hall quickly became a center of Fredericksburg social life; Nimitz also provided a room in which traveling salesmen could display their wares and a bathhouse that reportedly offered the only hot baths between San Antonio and El Paso. In addition, he operated a brewery, a saloon, and a general store at the hotel. The hotel had a rose garden, a vegetable garden, a grape arbor, and a stagecoach stop at the back protected by a high stone wall. The Nimitz soon gained a reputation for comfort and convenience. A number of families from Houston and Galveston spent their summers there, and among the more notable guests of the hotel were President Rutherford B. Hayes, Robert E. Leeqv (whose furniture Nimitz bought when Lee left Texas), Philip H. Sheridan,qv Horace Greeley, William Sydney Porter,qv the explorer Adolphus W. Greely, Ulysses S. Grant, William Rufus Shafter,qv Fitzhugh Lee,qv Earl Van Dornqv and James T. Longstreet. Nimitz added the hotel's famous steamboat-shaped superstructure sometime after 1888 and finally deeded the hotel to his son, Charles, Jr., on June 6, 1906. The elder Nimitz continued to live there until his death on April 28, 1911; his son and daughter-in-law sold the hotel on July 29, 1926, to a group of local men who remodeled it extensively at a cost of $125,000; they removed the ship-like superstructure and deeded the hotel to the Hotel Nimitz Company on October 13, 1926. Eventually Henry J. Schmidt became the sole owner and dissolved the corporation on October 10, 1947. The hotel closed in fall 1963, and Schmidt sold it to the nonprofit Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitzqv Naval Museum on September 22, 1964. The hotel was renovated and opened as a museum on the anniversary of Admiral Nimitz's birth, February 24, 1967. Ownership of the hotel was transferred to the Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz Memorial Naval Museum Commission on June 15, 1970. In 1976 a Japanese Peace Garden was established behind the hotel as a Bicentennial gift from the Japanese government. The hotel is now the headquarters of the Admiral Nimitz State Historical Parkqv and administered by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.qv The steamboat appearance has been reconstructed.

Nimitz Museum - Fredericksburg, Texas Location Map


View Larger Map

 

 

Fredericksburg Property | Our Listings | Fredericksburg Real Estate | Fredericksburg Texas | Fredericksburg History | Fredericksburg Texas Visitor Information | Stonewall Texas | Willow City Texas | Harper Texas | Enchanted Rock | Nimitz Museum | Wildflowers | Things To Do | Restaurants | Birding | Golf | Gillespie County | Texas Hill Country | Kerrville Texas | Guadalupe River | Fredericksburg Tax Info | Fredericksburg Utilities | Schools | Education | Seasonal Activities | Central Texas Hill Country | Fredericksburg Estate | Texas Hill Country Real Estate | Texas Hill Country Ranches | Central Texas Hill Country Acreage | Texas Hill Country Ranch Search | Central Texas Land Search | Central Texas Ranch Land | Central Texas Acreage Search | Fredericksburg Acreage | Fredericksburg Real Estate | Fredericksburg Real Estate Directory | Texas Ranches and Ranch Land | Fredericksburg Ranches | Texas Ranches and Ranch Land for Sale | Search Central Texas Land |

145 Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, 830-997-4323, (800) 606-4323